Hello everybody, it’s me, Dave, welcome to my recipe page. Today, we’re going to make a special dish, doubles. trinidad street food. One of my favorites. This time, I’m gonna make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Doubles is a common street food originating from Trinidad and Tobago. It is normally eaten during breakfast, but is also eaten occasionally during lunch or as a late night snack and popular hangover food for local Trinidadians. It is a delicious sloppy sandwich made with two pillowy soft baras-flat fried breads-filled with channa also known as curried chickpeas. It is a vessel for the mouth watering condiments and Caribbean flavors.
Doubles. Trinidad Street Food is one of the most favored of recent trending foods on earth. It is appreciated by millions every day. It’s simple, it is quick, it tastes delicious. They’re fine and they look fantastic. Doubles. Trinidad Street Food is something that I’ve loved my whole life.
To get started with this recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have doubles. trinidad street food using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Doubles. Trinidad Street Food:
- Take 1 Can Chickpeas
- Make ready 1 Medium Potato
- Take 1 Small Onion
- Get 1 Tsp Ginger/ Garlic Paste
- Prepare 1 Cube Chicken Stock
- Make ready 1 Tsp Green Chillies Paste
- Prepare 1 Tsp Mustard Powder
- Take 1 Tsp Turmeric
- Prepare 1 Tsp Coriander/Cumin Powder
- Prepare 1 Tsp Red Chillies Fine
- Make ready 1 Tsp Garam Masala (All Spice) Powder
- Take 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Take 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- Get Salt to Taste. If needed
- Make ready 1 Tbsp Oil
- Get 1 Tbsp Ghee
- Get 1 Cup water
Doubles' are always wrapped in wax paper, making them a portable snack to enjoy on-the-go. I remember my first experience with Doubles. One of her "don't bother" tips: Don't spend too much on food when there are "doubles" - channa inside two pieces of fried bread, an inexpensive, delicious, street food - everywhere. Doubles are basically a snack-sized sandwich made of two flatbreads known as bara and filled with a curried chickpea filling (or channa, as it is known in Trinidad and India).
Steps to make Doubles. Trinidad Street Food:
- Braise chopped onions in Ghee/Oil, add in the Ginger/ Garlic Paste and add in chopped potatoes, chicken stock and water. Close lid and let it cook.
- Once Potatoes are soft, mash till saucy. Add in all the spices and then empty brine out of chickpeas and let it cook for another 5 mins, add another 1/2 cup water.
- Once all infused, mash the chickpeas roughly with the back of spoon and serve on a Puri.
- To add spice, add a bit of Spicy Green Chutney or even Jalapeño Sauce.
One of her "don't bother" tips: Don't spend too much on food when there are "doubles" - channa inside two pieces of fried bread, an inexpensive, delicious, street food - everywhere. Doubles are basically a snack-sized sandwich made of two flatbreads known as bara and filled with a curried chickpea filling (or channa, as it is known in Trinidad and India). Dampen your hands with water if the dough is sticky. Doubles is the ultimate street food in Trinidad and Tobago. You literally eat it on the spot.
So that is going to wrap it up with this special food doubles. trinidad street food recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I’m confident that you can make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!